The Ex-Guber on Tumblr

A constant feed from my Tumblr blog, where I have now parked myself after realizing I'm not enjoying Blogger that much.

Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Tales From the Pantry

Since I tendered my resignation and the news became public, a lot of people have been coming up to me about it, asking when's my last day, and they all seem to have the same question, comment and congratulation. I just noticed this when someone came up to me whilst I was making coffee in the pantry (although I didn't understand her at first due to the health snack bar she was chewing).

Here's a typical scenario. I've split some of the bits into multiple choice answers depending on the type of colleague who's asking:


COLLEAGUE
(whispering)
Hey, dude/you/hot stuff... I heard the news. When's your last day?

JUSTIN GUBER
27th of March, man/buddy/chica.

COLLEAGUE
Aww... such a shame/pity/tragedy. The company's gonna lose a good/talented/astonishingly gorgeous man. Why are you leaving?

JUSTIN GUBER
Going into production, starting my own company.

COLLEAGUE
Oh, wow! That's so cool/entrepreneurial/sexy! No wonder you're not sticking around. Best of luck/good for you/I want your babies.


Ok. So the third choices are all made up, but they could happen...

The point is, everyone at first says how much of a loss it is that I'm leaving, probably assuming I'm going to another agency, then when they hear I'm going into business they suddenly change expression entirely and are incredibly supportive (except for one dude). It's been happening so much I now have two questions in my head:

1. How good was my work here? Is everyone saying it's a loss that I'm leaving to be nice or did I actually do some good work here? Because I can't shake the feeling I'm not cut out for this industry.

2. Why does everyone suddenly light up when I say I'm going into business? Are they again just being nice or does it reflect some hidden desire inside them to break the shackles of bosses and run their own thang?

Food for thought. I'm gonna go see if I can make all the third options in the dialogue above happen. Cue thumping bassline...

No comments:

Post a Comment