The Ex-Guber on Tumblr

A constant feed from my Tumblr blog, where I have now parked myself after realizing I'm not enjoying Blogger that much.

Friday, December 2, 2005

Snippety Snip

Robert Rodriguez once said (in his book 'Rebel Without A Crew') that editing is his favourite part of filmmaking because it's when you take all those little pieces you have and put it together. You're seeing the film form before your very eyes and the choice of shot, the slightest tweak, the adding or subtracting of a second can make a huge difference. I was watching the extras disc from the original Star Wars trilogy box set and they showed a comparison between the first cut, which was all masters followed by coverage, and the final cut they made where the pace was dictated by the edit, not the actors. I like that. And especially with non-linear editing, the process is a whole lot faster.

Faster or not, it still took me about five or six hours to transfer all the footage I needed for the Dragon Red video and edit it. I actually had a lot more footage, but they were all in VCD format so first I'd have to copy the files then convert them into avi to edit it. Took about half an hour to an hour each VCD so I only used the three best ones I had then combined that with the footage I took of them at a gig and during their rehearsals. The video's for the launch, but Adam (the vocalist) says he also wants to do a proper video and wants me to edit it.

But at least that's out of the way now. Fun as it is, I really want to clear up as much as I can so I can concentrate on my damn movie. Then again, editing other people's stuff usually opens up some new technique or trick I'll discover and I'll end up using that on my movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment