The Ex-Guber on Tumblr

A constant feed from my Tumblr blog, where I have now parked myself after realizing I'm not enjoying Blogger that much.

Wednesday, November 9, 2005

All About the Brown, the Methods of Manliness and My Momma Don't Take No Shit

Goddamn I was exhausted last night. I mean, seriously exhausted. You see, throughout the Hari Raya (Eid) celebrations, I didn't get much sleep. The weeks before that, I didn't get much sleep. After Raya, I still didn't get much sleep.

And, as obvious as the fact may seem, the lack of sleep is getting to me.

When I was hitting up a cup of coffee with Naren, I already felt it coming. I found myself yawning (sorry, Naren) quite a bit and thinking to myself, "it's fucking seven thirty. Why would I be sleepy?" By the time I went to see my girlfriend I was flat out dead. We went to her car after dinner and I cuddled up on her lap like a stray cat with fleas and passed out for about 10 minutes. I could hardly move.

But I had to. Movement is important. Read through of the script with Peter Brown at 10.00pm. Must dash. Get up, stand up, don't give up the fight.

Ah, yes. The Brown. I love the Brown. Peter (or Hassan, whichever name pleases you most) is a wonderful person and, as it turns out, the most dedicated actor on this ramshackle production yet. I got to his house at around 10.30pm, ready for the read through, when Man Method called.

"When do you need the footage by?" he asked.

"November would be great. December's ok," I replied, "why?"

I then discover my Man with the Method will be stuck with heavy-duty work till January.

Eek.

But there are one or two windows of opportunity and he may be able to shoot the stuff this weekend. If he had storyboards, that is.

Shite. I haven't done the boards. I asked him,

"Would I really be putting you out if I asked you to get the footage done within the small windows of opportunity this and next month?"

"Yeah, but it's alright."

I've put someone out already. Shit.

After the call, it was down to readthroughs and even though Peter hasn't really crafted most of the character yet, I am impressed. His scene should prove quite funny indeed. And what's great is that we spent a good hour just talking about character: should he be camp and melodramatic, or a bit more sinister and dark? What should he wear? Hairstyles? Que?

Leaving at 11.30pm, I wondered whether I should (a) go home (which was very close by) and sleep or (b) go to Taman Tun and get these storyboards done. I was tired as fuck but I reasoned that if I'm putting Saj out I should put myself out too. Off to Taman Tun, doodle the boards, scan 'em, stick 'em in photoshop to put in some notes, burn it to CD and e-mail it at work the next day.

Then, this morning, whatdya know? My parents aren't free for this Saturday for me to shoot them (on film, not with an assault riffle). Then my mom turns to me and says,

"I'm not acting in it if the word 'shit' is in the script."

"Don't worry, you're character doesn't say 'shit'".

"No. If the word 'shit' is in the script. Anywhere. I don't want to be associated with a movie like that."

Hmmm. In my attempt to stay away from the word 'fuck', I've used 'shit', 'arse', 'arse-biscuits', 'twadger', 'bollocks' and 'bitch', and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

I foresee a few problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment