The Ex-Guber on Tumblr

A constant feed from my Tumblr blog, where I have now parked myself after realizing I'm not enjoying Blogger that much.

Monday, September 5, 2005

The Parent Factor

So I had lunch with my parents today. My father had been calling me almost every night just to see how I was and I assume it's because everytime I come home they're asleep and everytime I wake up they've already left for work. I figured lunch would put them both at ease.

Besides, I had something to discuss with them. I had always felt that my script-writing and filmmaking was a taboo subject that I had to keep hidden from them. I'd have nightmares of them seeing one of my films in horror of the language and subject matter before turning to me and screaming,

"how dare you right this FILTH!? Begone! Begone, I say!"

Strangely, it turned out quite the contrary.

We went to Italliani's at Cosway (excellent meatballs) and I introduced them to the owner, Gino. Then, to business. I explained what short films I had done and what my upcoming movie was about. I told them what happens in the movie. I told them about the subject matter. I told them it would probably get banned.

My mom agreed,

"It's all politics, they probably will ban it."

Then she said,

"Let me guess. You use the word 'shit' a lot in it, don't you?"

"Well," I replied, "I stayed away from the f-word."

But here's the thing: they did not once look dissaproving, or overly concerned, or angry or worried. I could be mistaken, but I think there was a semblance of pride in their smiles. Regardless, they did give the impression that they would not intrude, not interrupt or try to steer me otherwise. They seemed to... accept it.

That was weird.

So I've cast them in the movie. They'll play the parents, who were based on them to begin with so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Although now I have to adjust their scenes in the schedule because they're flying off to Geneva on holiday (to my mom, it's holiday. To my father, it's work).

Full steam ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment