The Ex-Guber on Tumblr

A constant feed from my Tumblr blog, where I have now parked myself after realizing I'm not enjoying Blogger that much.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Festival Festivities

Registered to WithoutABox just now and I've been checking it out ever since. Very cool. And to think, previously I'd been searching via google for film festivals. This is so much easier.

So easy it is, it's come to my attention that most festivals in the States 'prefer' movies that are premieres. The tough bit is trying to pick which ones to send to, there's so frickin' many. I've got my heart set on the Seattle International Film Festival but (a) the entry fee is quite high and (b) perhaps I'm setting my hopes to high with it, too. I dunno about the festival, but the site is certainly a classy affair. Perhaps I should submit it to a smaller festival... or one closer to Hollywood (incredibly wishful thinking on my part).

See, my question is this: with so many film festivals going on in the States, how do studio execs and agents and distributors check them all out? There must be some that are more preferred than others. And it's US dollars for the entry fees. That's a lot of money in ringgit, so shotgunning the festival circles with spray pellets in the hope of hitting one isn't exactly the most affordable. Plus the fact that some festivals don't accept DVD as their final screening format (which is understandable) although I always thought DVD was clearer than digiBeta.

Edinburgh Film Festival's also on my hitlist... that is, if it's good enough for them. I really want to get it into some festival in the UK, just don't know which. Not quite sure about all this. Need outside assistance, helpful opinions from an experienced soul.

Any of you happen to be an experienced soul? And I don't mean that in a cherry-poppin' way.

Another of my worries is the fact that different festivals cater for different audiences. I need to find a festival of film geeks (wait for it...) with a sense of humour (see? Not so easy now, is?).

And, of course, I still have to finish my cut of the movie. As tiring as editing by myself is, I can't imagine giving someone else my footage and asking them to edit it. They'd probably tell me I'm mad.

Then again, Saiful's been calling me mad for ages.

The cyst is getting bigger and it hurts like buggery. I shall be having harsh words with the doctor soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment