The Ex-Guber on Tumblr

A constant feed from my Tumblr blog, where I have now parked myself after realizing I'm not enjoying Blogger that much.

Friday, July 8, 2005

Caucasian Conundrum

In response to my post about my short film, my old buddy Naren (currently making his way to Gordon Gecko-ness somewhere in Leeds, if I'm not mistaken) sent me this e-mail. Quite interesting, although perhaps he's gone into much more depth than my 10 minute dick-n-fart joke movie.

Naren, I tried to reply to you but my Yahoo mail doesn't go down well with my server here. Will try again soon...


Hi Khai,

[blah blah blah... stuff you don't need to know...] I just read the blog on your latest endevour with regards to the short film entitled 'Why some like it white(?)'. I do understand that you have finished filming but I sincerely hope that I can squeeze in some comments.

1. After hard thought I do think that it is a matter of preference. Some may have certain preference in terms of external biological looks and physique. It is known for preference for hair colour (blonde). Environment and socialization process would have played a role in the building the psychological profile of an individual choosing the partner.

2.Thinking along supply/demand and the basics of trade negotiations that David Riccardo coined a century ago, the market has increased the demand for white male and the flow of ex-pats does not realistically match it. Any rational economic actor in a trade market knows that he can dictate terms with regards to delivery and freight arrangements.

This appears to be the current status in any public social event in the leisurely hours of a birck and mortar institution (eg. nightclubs, pubs,) The market forces have tipped the price equilibirum in favour of the ex-pat. Such unfair economic practises are usually the concern of regulators, fair trade and anti-competition authority to uphold the integrity of the free market. (Something I regard as a paradox as external intervention is used to preserve the free market) Not straying away from the topic, the chance to shift the equilibrium to more friendly terms to our local gentry would through be regulation.

Shrinking the input of ex-pat would may not help in the short term (it would increase demand) but the excess surplus of asian women with no realistic means to satisfy their demand for expat in the long term means they would chose a substitute (local men). Social conventions appears to be a handy form of regulation in this economic scenario.

3.It would be extremelly naive of me to leave the above points without further investigation to the motives of the said individuals in question. Sadly, there are bias traces of a negative (from a third party perspective) and at times an arguabbly positive nature (from the daters) on the decision making process of the asian female/white male in choosing their partner.

To say we are all free from the whole act of passing judgements when choosing life-partners or even sexual partners on a short-term time scale (pulling on a Friday night) is totally untrue. As discussed on para(1), individual taste needs to be factored in. However, it is quite hard to swallow that some would read that a certain particular race are synonymous with having monetory advantages, phallic endowment, etc. Unfortunately collecting size stats maybe seen as a taboo in Malaysia, so we have a long way to do correlation analysis with expats size.

4. Conclusion: This however issue however is something that social scientist should study as we do not know if the answer lies in social conditioning, peer pressure, foreign cultural contributions, etc. I am more than happy to look into it if I have access to research grant.

Best wishes,
Narendran

Cheers for the comments n' thoughts, Naren. Once I upload the vid you'll see my POV... so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment