The Ex-Guber on Tumblr

A constant feed from my Tumblr blog, where I have now parked myself after realizing I'm not enjoying Blogger that much.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Kind Words Go A Long Way

So I just found out Benjamin McKay passed away.


I didn't really know Mr. McKay. I'd only met him once. He e-mailed me because Criticine had asked him to cover my feature film 'Ciplak' and asked when it was being screened so he could do a write up on it.

There were two people who were invited to the 'Ciplak' screening who's review I was quite nervous about. Benjamin's review was one of them.

I remember meeting him after the launch party for the flick at Laundry. He came over and introduced himself and told me the review would be up soon and that it would be positive.

I remember clicking open the review, nervous as hell, worried about whether or not he would like the movie...

...and instead discovering the most in-depth review of 'Ciplak' I had ever read.

I was amazed, proud, honored and incredibly touched that someone would write about my tiny little low-budget movie the way he did and I was incredibly grateful that he would even consider taking the time to write such an in-depth review in the first place.

I never met Mr. McKay after that, but I'll always be grateful for that review and thankful that he was such a presence in the local independent film scene.

Rest In Peace, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment