The Ex-Guber on Tumblr

A constant feed from my Tumblr blog, where I have now parked myself after realizing I'm not enjoying Blogger that much.

Friday, April 15, 2005

Further Thoughts on Soundtrack, Character & Casting

After a chat with Man Method, the thought of using two opposing musical styles to represent the two characters seemed to fit more and more. I'll use my 'A Girl Named Jane' moniker to do some DJ Shadow/Sneaker Pimps inspired trip-hoppiness as well as ask for Man Method's assistance. That should round off the male characters music selection. Then, for the bird, a combo of bands off the FYI roster should do nicely.

One thought is to maintain an acoustic guitar sound throughout, regardless of styles. For scenes where they're both in the same shot a mash-up inspired track might work. I think I've got the girl and guy's theme sussed out.

For those of you who've been reading this but haven't been privy to the script, you may be wondering why I keep referring to them as 'guy' and 'girl'. Simple. At the time of writing those earlier posts, I hadn't sorted out the girls name due to a, shall we say, 'conflict of interest' (long story). So maybe I'll let you guys in a bit more on my characters:

DIANE - Pronounced 'Dee-yan', Diane has always lived up to her parents expectations. Straight A's, well mannered, a good Malay girl. Her only vice is the guitar, given to her by her uncle together with his entire collection of 60's & 70's rock vinyls and record player. Studying Law at HELP College, she knows exactly what her future holds: get a job, get married, be a housewife, be a mother. Deep down she yearns for more but doesn't dare stand up for what she believes in. That is, until she meets...

JO - Or, as he's known by his parents, Johan. Brought up in London since he was 12, he switched his degree from Law to Journalism & English Literature without telling his parents, who were fronting the bills the entire time. Apart from a few random freelance assignments for KLue, he's spent the last 9 months back in Malaysia since his graduation jobless. Hard headed and completely against any form of authority, he refuses to take jack-shit from anyone. Has been working on a novel since he got back.

So far, so un-original, I know. In character and concept. But it's a story I hold close to my heart and the script isn't like what has been shown on screen in Malaysia either from the mainstream or independents. In retrospect, it's kinda weird that I'm planning my first feature to be a love story when I always thought I'd write some schlock horror movie.

At the moment, the only cast decided on are the two leads above. I'll be playing Jo and Nazneen will be playing Diane. As for the rest of the cast, I'm stuck, as they are predominantly adults aged above 30. I don't know any adults of that age group. At least, any that I'd call a close friend who I could approach to act in my movie. I'm not gonna pay for an actor, hell, I'm not paying for the damn camera. I also want people I know because at least that way it feels less like a chore and more like a bunch of friends hanging out on the weekends shooting a silly little movie.

I could cut the number of adult characters down, or even their scenes, but the script's quite tightly packed as it is. Hmmm.

I've also e-mailed Adrian from KLue in the hope that he'll let me shoot at the KLue office and use the KLue name in the movie. Gotta figure out the whole Starbucks thing, though. Need to shoot at Starbucks. The Pusat Bandar Damansara one. That particular Starbucks. Why? It's quiet, it looks nice and it's near the college that Diane's character attends. I also wrote the script there so it's the only Starbucks I have in my head.

I'm hoping to get all the pre-production crap out of the way between now and when I got to London on holiday on June 2nd. I'm hoping to shoot some footage there (international locations=big budget gloss. shyeah, right) for flashback sequences as well as try and find some kind of trend and/or look for Jo. I want Jo to look out of place in Malaysia. I want his clothes to reflect how much he still holds on to London.

However, I refuse to have him sport a french crop haircut, parka, kappa tracksuit bottoms, adidas superstars and burberry gear whilst listening to UK garage and saying "innit" after every sentence. That's just wrong.

It's times like these I wish I had a producer to worry about all this shit. I just wanna shoot already.

No comments:

Post a Comment